Brakanes Hotel - Celebrating 150 years
It all started in 1860, when Sjur Brakanes built a coaching inn in Ulvik. By 1891, it had become so successful that he needed to expand, so the building was extended to take the number of rooms from five to 50. After 1924, his grandchildren Sara and Marta took over the running of the hotel when their father, Hans Lindebrække, died. They were very successful and soon built up a worldwide reputation for great hospitality. Ulvik was destroyed during the Second World War and, afterwards, the sisters vowed to rebuild the hotel, this time on an even grander scale.
Together with their brother Gjert, they agreed to create a hotel to a high European standard. On May 9, 1952, the hotel opened with 124 beds, 44 bathrooms, custom-designed furniture and textiles, plus new interior decor. It quickly became regarded as the country’s premier fjordhotel.
Brakanes Hotel has been honoured to welcome many guests from all over the world, including many well known visitors, including Queen Juliana of the Netherlands. Brakanes Hotel and Brakanes Course and Conference Centre is today owned by Bodil and Per Ove Pedersen, with hosts Tine Pedersen and Knut Arve Hakestad.